Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Big Give Houston


Big Give Houston is a 24-hour crowdfunding event designed to empower people to  give back to their local communities -- by supporting the organizations they trust to tackle today’s most critical issues.
On the first Tuesday in May, Big Give Houston helps strengthen the foundation of our local communities by providing critical funding for and celebrating the work of our community partners.
Like many other people, I received many nudges today to give. All came from nonprofits that have me in their e-mail databases - because I have 1) support the financially in the past or 2) had a business relationship with them or 3) someone thought I was a good prospect for future funding.

I was happy to get those nudges to give, even though I couldn't give to all. I liked that each was willing "to ask" for what they needed. That ask put all of the nonprofits back on my radar and, in some cases, included in my giving budget for now this or next year.

Big Give Houston is a good thing. For the recipients, of course, but also for those of us who want to make a difference in the lives of others. 

I can think of no better way to do that than by giving to those in need, and no better way to do that than via the nonprofits that serve those individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment