Sunday, July 5, 2015

Prepping for Painters

It's long overdue, but I'm finally ready to tackle the much-needed repainting of my home - both inside and out.

Getting ready for the painters to work on the exterior was easy - if you don't count writing out the deposit check and handing it over! All I really had to do was keep my car out of the driveway and myself out of the way. No biggie!

But, this weekend, in the midst of Independence Day festivities, I find myself prepping for the painters - who will return on Monday, eager and ready to repair no small number of cracks in the walls and ceilings and enhance everything in plain sight with fresh new coats of eggshell white.

The painters said not to worry about securing the status quo of the wooden floors or furniture; they would cover all, and all would be just fine.
OK, I'll buy that, but then there is the art on the wall. The mirrors! Gotta be taken down and put away somewhere.


There are the books, the "decorative" art objects and the framed photos of my family. Gotta be removed and put away somewhere.

There are the floor and table lamps. Gotta be removed and put away somewhere.

There are the area rugs and their pads. Gotta be removed and put away somewhere too!

There are the throw pillows and the floor pillows. More stuff that's gotta be removed and put away somewhere.

And, that's just the living room!

YIKES!

No wonder the decision of painting my entire three-level townhouse at once was so easily put off - again and again!  

I've asked the painters to work on just one level of my home at a time, starting with the main living areas (on the second floor). So, this means all the "must-be-moved" stuff needs to be picked up and carried upstairs or down.

And, when the job is finished, it will all need to be picked up (again) and carried (again) downstairs or up. 


SO NOT FUN! 


Prepping for painters is a whole lot of work. Especially when it involves the extra challenges of vertical living. 
But, I've decided to look on the bright side. And, eventually, I will. When all of the work is done, and my aging home looks like new again!
















No comments:

Post a Comment