Saturday, May 18, 2013

Empty Bowls

 

After many years of planning to check out the Empty Bowls in Houston, I finally made it over to the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft today to see what the excitement was all about. 

Empty Bowls is a national grassroots effort to raise funds for to feed the hungry in communities across the country. Artists and craftspeople work throughout the year to create uniquely beautiful soup bowls to donate to the cause. Then, people like me (who love and collect hand-made pottery) show up and make a $25 donation. Donors are then invited to select a bowl of their choice and stay for a light lunch of soup, bread and beverage. (Of course, additional bowls may also be purchased.) The funds raised go to the Houston Food Bank.


As my friend, Faye, suggested, I got to HCCC shortly after the doors opened — when the selection would be best. But, even though the event had just begun, the crowd of supporters was big.


Many of the early birds had already picked out and paid for their favorites. Others were doing what I would soon find myself doing - walking up and down the aisles of pottery-laden tables, finding it difficult to make decisions. But, finally, inspired by the swell of the crowd and all the outstretched arms, I made my move.

I took home two new soup bowls; both about the same size and of similar colors. They will be displayed in my kitchen, so I will use them often. And, each time I do, I will be reminded of this great community effort and my own delight in supporting it. 









No comments:

Post a Comment