Wednesday, July 4, 2012

America the Beautiful

My plans for today, the Fourth of July, will include some down time. On purpose, I've set aside a few hours between commitments to start reading America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great, a book that's been on my "must-read" list for awhile now. 

I learned of this New York Times bestseller on television when I saw its author, Ben Carson, being interviewed. I learned about Carson's challenging childhood in the ghetto of Detroit and his amazing journey to become well educated and one of the most celebrated neurosurgeons in the world. 

During that television interview, I saw that Carson was intelligent and articulate, but his voice revealed something that really appealed to me — an intense passion for this country and a strong desire for all Americans to understand how the fundamental beliefs of our founding fathers impacted our history. It was Carson's voice that made me want to read this book today! It seems a most fitting way to honor those who birthed our nation!



No comments:

Post a Comment