Friday, June 8, 2012

Brinkley and Cronkite

One of the highlights of the Crime Stoppers of Houston Luncheon yesterday was being able to hear the keynote address by Douglas Brinkley, author of the new best-selling book, Cronkite.


Brinkley, a professor of history at Rice University, charmed us with a series of great stories about Walter Cronkite - the CBS anchorman I remember as "the most trusted man in America." 


Brinkley's stories were interesting (of course) and spanned the length of the newsman's long life, including his days at The University of Texas and working here in Houston. 


I bought a copy of Cronkite before the luncheon and, along with many others, stood in line to get the author's autograph. I'm glad I did. 


Brinkley was warm and friendly and appreciative of my interest in Walter Cronkite and the book. I explained I was in the news business myself, publisher of Houston Woman, eager to read about a media role model. Brinkley smiled, then said to call on him if he can do anything to help me or the magazine. I liked that.


There are more than 700 pages in Brinkley's book. It will not be a quick read. But, that's OK. I'm looking forward to spending a good deal of time with Cronkite. It will be just like old times.

No comments:

Post a Comment