Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bossypants


I got up early this morning to attend the summer meeting of the Houston Woman Business Book Club, a group I formed two-and-a-half years ago for purely selfish reasons.

At the time, I had been reading (and enjoying) business books for many years. But, unfortunately, I never had a lot of friends who shared my keen interest in "biz-ed."

Often I would read a great book on leadership or entrepreneurism, get inspired by the wisdom I found among its pages and, then, have no similarly inspired buddies to discuss my findings. It was always a letdown.

Finally, in January 2009, I decided to solve this problem. I organized a group of women who would meet regularly and read only business books! I figured the best of these books wouldn't be bestsellers if there weren't plenty of others out there just like me! I also figured those who would be interested in joining such a group would be the kind of people I would truly enjoy meeting and getting to know!

Needless to say, I was right on all counts.

This morning, our group met for the 24th time to discuss the 24th book on our list. (Can't you just imagine how smart we all are now?)

We met at Ouisie's Table on San Felipe for breakfast and discussion of Tina Fey's new book, Bossypants.



Members arrived early, eager to re-connect with each other and to offer their comments on the funny lady's book. All said they laughed out loud as they read Bossypants and could literally hear Fey's voice as she told her stories.



Time did not permit us to discuss everything in the book, but much was said about Fey's chapters on 1) her father Don Fey, 2) her Poseidon Adventure honeymoon, 3) Photoshop, 4) Breastfeeding for 72 hours, and 5) what she's learned about being a boss.



Most importantly, she said, "My advice to women in the workplace is this: When faced with sexism or ageism or lookism...ask yourself the following question: 'Is this person in between me and what I want to do?' If the answer is no, ignore it and move on. Your energy is better used doing your work and outpacing people that way. Then, when you're in charge, don't hire the people who were jerky to you.



"If the answer is yes, you have a more difficult road ahead of you. I suggest you model your strategy after the old Sesame Street film piece 'Over! Under! Through!' ... Opinions will change when you're the boss!"



Fey also reminded us not to fret when someone calls you "bossy."



She said, "You're no one until someone calls you bossy."

That Tina Fey, she is so funny — and oh so very wise! Who knew?






No comments:

Post a Comment