Monday, April 18, 2011

Dinner at the Wine Cask

Doug and Mitchell
I connected with other travel writers and our hosts from Santa Barbara about 7 o'clock at the Wine Cask restaurant for what turned out to be a delightful evening of great food and wine.

The Wine Cask, located in downtown Santa Barbara in the El Paseo complex, is a popular gathering spot, well-known for its style and atmosphere, excellent service and creative, farm-to-table menus.
Chef Brandon Hughes
We gathered first in the tasting room and met owners Doug Margerum and Mitchell Sjerven. Both were friendly and engaging. They educated us about the history of the place and inroduced us, via a series of tastings, to Doug's namesake Margerum wines. My favorite was his M5 (a Rhône-styled red blend). I was delighted to learn that the M5 is available at Spec's in Houston.

We also met and chatted with Chef Brandon Hughes prior to experiencing one of the highly praised Chef's Table Dinners in the main dining room.

By talking to the chef, I learned that some of his training had taken place in Houston — at Tony's. I couldn't help but think, "small world."

Apparently, the thought stayed with me. For the rest of the evening the song, "Small World," was singing in my head.


No comments:

Post a Comment