Sunday, January 2, 2011

Denver Omelets

Tonight is one of those Sunday nights when nothing sounds better for dinner than breakfast. So, I've decided to prepare one of my favorite dishes - Denver Omelets. 
It never occurred to me until tonight to inquire about why this particular recipe was named after me or, perhaps, the Mile High City in Colorado. Until now, I just accepted the notion that it was simply a great idea!
But, a quick google search and I found some interesting facts and contradictions.
One source said the omelet was named for Denver because the ingredients in the dish came from Colorado. Oh, really? Which ones? The eggs? The ham? The bell peppers? The onions? You mean to tell me we can't find the providers of those four ingredients elsewhere?

The American Heritage Cookbook and Illustrated History of American Eating and Drinking (1964) fixed the origin of the Denver Omelet (originally called Western Omelet) to pioneer women who masked the flavor of aging eggs by mixing in plenty of onions when cooking them. Other food historians believe the Denver Omelet was started by chuckwagon cooks - for the same reason.

I've included here my recipe for Denver Omelets, however, it is never followed precisely. I find it too much trouble to measure things, and doing so puts a damper on my creativity.

So, to keep it simple, start with four eggs, then add a little of this, a little of that, a pinch of this and a pinch of that. No matter what you do, these omelets will turn out just right!


Denver Omelets
(2 servings)

4 large eggs
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1/2 cup diced ham 
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
Tabasco to taste

Melt butter in a large skillet or on a griddle. Saute onion, bell pepper, ham and bacon in the butter until the onion starts to become opaque. In a small bowl, whip the eggs lightly. Add salt and pepper and hot sauce if desired. Slowly, stir the eggs into mixture in skillet. Lightly brown on one side. Turn over and lightly brown other side.

Serve on a plain white plate with two slices of buttered wheat toast and some orange slices. Sit down, take a bite and say, "yum."

Repeat soon!




1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious!!!! I think I know what I'm having for dinner this evening! A western denver omelet!!

    Thanks for sharing a little bit of the history and the recipe! It's neat to see how things unfold!

    ReplyDelete