Friday, January 21, 2011

Rescuing Bugsy



It's been a long time since I've been a dog owner - more than 10 years. Each and every time I think about acquiring a new four-legged friend, I talk myself out of it. For one reason or another, the timing hasn't seemed quite right.

But then, right before Christmas, a friend posted something on Facebook that got my attention - this photo!

I discovered the handsome dude in the photo was Bugsy - a two-year-old Schnoodle (part Schnauzer, part Poodle) who was in desperate need of adoption. He had recently been picked up by Kathryn Eyster-Turnbull of True Blue Animal Rescue in Brenham. She got him just hours before he was to be euthanized.

I started thinking about all the shelters in this country and all the animals that end up in them. A quick google search told me that more than four million animals are handled each year by local shelters. And, of that number, 64 percent are euthanized. That's nearly three million tragic deaths!

The more I looked at Bugsy's darling little face, and thought about how close he came to becoming a very sad statistic, the more I wanted to do the right thing — bring him home and make darn sure he gets the love and affection he deserves!

Next Saturday morning, I will begin to do that.

1 comment:

  1. You go, Girl! This is bound to be a match made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete