Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Freshfields Village


I was eager to visit Freshfields Village on St. John's Island so, about mid-day, I called on The Sanctuary's shuttle service to get me over there.

The drive took only 15 minutes, but it allowed me to see some of Kiawah Island that I might have missed otherwise - through some forested and marsh areas, past glorious golf courses and, hidden in the trees, some of the large and lovely homes situated here.

Starting out the weather was cool and wet, but before my "off-campus" excursion was complete, the sun came out and brought with it many more locals and tourists. Like me, all were eager to check out the offerings of this enclave of unique shops and dining establishments. With Christmas around the corner, it was not surprising to see that most were buying!

I was taken by the inventory of one particular shop, The Old Rangoon. There I chatted with the owner, a delightful woman named Joy Tucker, and learned much about the beautiful items she carried. Her "Arts from Asia" included jewelry, clothing, wall hangings and furniture.

I found myself totally enamored with the incredibly beautiful hand-made Oovoo handbags from Vietnam. I learned that the bags were a joint venture between two women - an American and a Vietnam citizen. So, I bought a small one, knowing I would love owning the purse, but also knowing I was helping two female entrepreneurs!

It was suggested I try Vincent's, a drug store and soda fountain, for lunch. So, happily, I did. I found the shop charming, a throwback to the 1950s. Loved the turquoise and white decor and barstools I remember as a child.

Reading over the menu, I spotted the Grilled Cheese Sandwich and under its listing (for the child in all of us). I liked that, and ordered the sandwich. Given the atmosphere there, it was deliciously appropriate!

No comments:

Post a Comment