Monday, November 29, 2010

The Sanctuary


I have finally arrived; it happened this afternoon!

I am at The Sanctuary at the Kiawah Island Golf Resort, and for the next couple of days I will be a "happy camper" lounging around in this ocean-side lap of luxury!

The Sanctuary, awarded the prestigious Forbes Five Star Award, sits along the pristine beaches of the Atlantic Ocean, just 30 minutes from downtown Charleston, S.C.

The Sanctuary was built in the style of a 1850s Southern mansion. The architecture of The Sanctuary and its friendly and attentive staff capture exquisitely the charm and spirit of the gracious Old South.

After a quick check in, at about 2:30 p.m., I was led to the fourth floor of the West Wing, to a lovely and well-appointed suite overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.

As I entered, I was immediately taken with the spaciousness of the rooms and "at home" with the Southern decor: traditional furniture in dark woods and posh accents: plush pillows, classic lamps and framed art, lush and formal draperies and sheers.

Just inside the door, on a small side table sat a bottle of red wine and a platter of cheese, crackers, berries and nuts. A welcome (and yummy-looking) site at this particular time of the day.

On the desk were two more gifts from the management: a ceramic vase full of fresh flowers and a signature Sanctuary totebag laden with local goodies. Inside the adorable lime green and brown burlap tote were a small book on the history of Kiawah Island, a box of Charleston Plantation Tea, a bag of praline pecans, a mini sweetgrass basket, a Charleston Chew bar, a starfish and a tin of Benne Wafers.

After bidding adieu to the bellman who helped me with my luggage, I turned around and took in the scene once more. I opened the French doors leading out to the balcony and walked outside. I breathed in the salt air and smiled.

The Sanctuary could not have been given a more fitting name!




No comments:

Post a Comment