Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rotary Club of West U

Some months ago, I was asked to speak at a regular weekly meeting of the Rotary Club of West U. The topic du jour was the club's founding 15 years ago.
It was a delight for me because, in 1995, I was the founder and charter president for that incredible organization. Admittedly, talking about the "early days" of that particular group is still one of my favorite things to do!
Many of the original members are still active in the Rotary Club of West U today. So, going back, after an absence of four years now, was like popping in at a family reunion. So many familiar faces! So many folks there I love and care about. (Picture lots of cheek-kissing and hugs!)
For the charter members, my talk was, perhaps, somewhat of a nostalgic trip down memory lane. For the newer members, the story probably seemed like a fairy tale, with surprising twists and turns that, somehow, led to a happy and illustrious beginning.
Okay, I know I sound like a proud mama bear, but it still gets me excited to tell others that the Rotary Club of West U distinguished itself from the get-go, starting off with 69 charter members and setting an international record. Not one of the other 27,000 clubs in the world had chartered with such an impressively large number of new Rotarians.
But, even more impressive than that is the record of service this organization and its other 14 presidents have established since then. Being named the "Best Large Club in Rotary District 5890" on numerous occasions speaks for itself.
Even so, one of these days I will write more about this club and its long history of service. I will publish it in an issue of Houston Woman Magazine and post it on the Web. I will applaud all those who continue to make the story of the Rotary Club of West U so very special!
Looking back. I can't help but recognize the similarities between starting a successful, non-profit organization and a successful, for-profit business.
Both take a grand vision and a master plan. Both take passion, hard work and dedication. And, above all else, both take a committed team of people who truly understand the power of doing all for the greater good.
Blessed are the organizations (for-profit or not) that have all that going for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment