Friday, November 26, 2010

Dining at McCrady's


The agenda for my first night in Charleston included dinner at McCrady's, located at #2 Unity Alley.

Like so many other places in Charleston, McCrady's has a rich history. If you ask a waiter about it, he'll be sure to tell you about the night George Washington was the guest of honor at a dinner party there in 1791. The gathering took place in the "long room" at McCrady's Tavern, a complex of buildings of which this remains. I like knowing that!

Considered by many to be the best restaurant in this charming historic city, McCrady's is committed to using as many sustainable, local products as possible. According to the chef, the menu is a celebration of the hard work of the area's farmers and fishermen.

I sat on a pillow-laden banquette in a cozy corner of the main dining room. I was delighted by the decor - dark wood beams on the ceiling, three wrought iron candelabras dimly lighting the room, a brick wall with a large centerpiece fireplace. Charming, and just the right spot for this cold night!

I started with a small bowl of the restaurant's signature Sweet Potato Soup. (It seemed especially appropriate for this evening after Thanksgiving.) For the entree, I opted for the Beef Tenderloin with Allium, Fingerling Potatoes, Duxelles and Foie Gras Hollandaise. Dessert was the restaurant's signature Banana Puddin'. All proved to be special delights for the palette!

The coffee at McCrady's was distinctive and good, so I asked my server, "What kind of coffee is this?"

She knew and quickly replied, "It's Charleston Coffee Roasters."

I made note!

No comments:

Post a Comment