Friday, November 19, 2010

Crazy Busy, Once Again!


Often, I hear myself thinking, "I don't know what to do; I'm so overbooked. I'm stretched to the max. I am simply overwhelmed!"

Sometimes, I become the "crazymaker" in my own life. I don't slow down (to smell the roses or the coffee), and I say "yes" to everything, except what is best for me (like getting into the gym on a regular basis or getting together more often with my family and friends).

I know I need to manage my schedule and the expectations of others a whole lot better, but figuring how out to do that is a whole other thing. That's why I read the book, Crazy Busy, by Dr. Edward Hallowell, earlier this year.

Dr. Hallowell compares the fast-paced lives of our modern world with the symptoms of those suffering from A.D.D. and offers great solutions to change the situation and improve the quality of our lives.

Hallowell talks about the myths and realities of multitasking. That chapter, especially, spoke to me and gave me insights that have changed the way I work - and play.

Lately, though, I’ve caught myself slipping back into old habits and feeling very much in need of a Hallowell refresher course.

So, last night, I picked Crazy Busy off the shelf, sank deeply into a comfortable, over-sized chair and focused on the wisdom of the doctor and his prescriptions for a life best lived.

Afterwards, I fell asleep with new resolve: To slow down and shift gears. To remember there are other speeds besides fast-forward and stop. And, most importantly, to appreciate more fully the value of a measured pace.

1 comment:

  1. I need to read THAT book! :) Do you think we could UNcrazy-UNbusy some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas long enough to meet for a late lunch or early dinner?

    ReplyDelete