Friday, November 26, 2010

Going to Charleston - Finally!


I have always been especially fond of traveling and setting out to see new places. Unfortunately, I was raised in a small town in north Louisiana by parents who did not share my passion for adventure. By the time I was born, my mother and father had traveled a lot and, in their words, “seen enough.” (I smile now remembering how often I was told that!)

Childhood vacations, for the most part, were limited to driving north 150 miles into Arkansas to see my mother’s relatives on the farm or driving 1,500 miles east to see by dad’s clan in New York City. The trips to the next state were frequent; the trips to the Big Apple were not. But, all of them, thank goodness, lent themselves to stops along the way and visits to little-known (to me, at least) places I was delighted to discover.

It was on those trips that my passion for visiting new and different places began. Early on I announced: When I grow up I’m going to visit ALL of the most interesting (and unique) cities in the United States!

I made a list of the Top 10 cities I considered most worthy of my pursuit: Boston, Charleston, Chicago, New Orleans, San Antonio, San Francisco, Santa Fe, Savannah, Seattle and Washington D.C.

Happy to say, I am finally en route to the last city on that original list – Charleston, S.C. — and, I couldn’t be happier!

As I write this post, I’m aboard a Continental Express jet heading east. It’s mid-day. The sky is clear and bright blue; the ride is smooth. I keep thinking about all the things I want to see and do when I get there.

Thanks to much help and guidance by the Charleston Convention & Visitors Bureau and the South Carolina Department of Tourism, my itinerary is full. I’ll be visiting museums and plantations, shops and markets. I’ll be going on ghost tours and taking carriage rides. I’ll be dining at fine restaurants and small cafes known for their Southern cuisine. I’ll visit a couple of spas and play a round of golf at one of the island resorts.

Yes, I’ve planned a wonderful (and much-needed) getaway – a soulful journey of pure delight.

No doubt, this trip is one I’ll have to write about!

No comments:

Post a Comment