Monday, November 29, 2010

Benne Wafers


Funny how you discover something new one day and, soon afterwards, it keeps showing up in your life again and again - and always quite unexpectedly! I couldn't help but think of this phenomenon when I spotted the Benne Wafers given to me today upon my arrival at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. Just three days ago I had never heard of them!

The first time I was introduced to Benne Wafers was Saturday when I was shopping on King Street. I had stopped at a small cafe for a cup of hot tea. When the waitress brought my order, included were a couple of small, crisp and thin cookies. They were delicious, with a flavor I wasn't familiar with, so I asked about them. They were Benne Wafers, a local favorite. I learned they are made with Benne seeds, blended with maple and brown sugar. I learned the Benne seed is the seed of good luck!

On Sunday, I bought a copy of Pat Conroy's new book, South of Broad, and spent much of that evening reading. In an early scene the hero, Leo, is asked by his mother to bake cookies for the new neighbors. Leo opted to bake some Benne Wafers. I smiled knowingly when I got to that part!

So, here I am, sitting on the balcony of a beautiful room in an incredibly special place. Every few minutes, an ocean breeze kisses my cheek and reminds me how blessed I am to be here. On the small table beside me is a small pot of coffee and a tin of Benne Wafers.


I pause and think: Just how lucky is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment