Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Simple Luxury


I just finished reading the book, "The Happiness Project." It's a good read - many great ideas in there about resolving to bring more happiness into our lives - and how to do it.

First, you make a list of resolutions.

One of mine was to work less. I resolved to stay away from the office every day the banks and post offices are closed. So, I didn't work on Monday, President's Day. What a simple thing, but what great joy it was to have a long weekend to myself! I did almost nothing!

Another resolution was to spend a "little bit" of my hard-earned money each month on something that enhances my enjoyment of life - a simple luxury, if you will. (This was one of the suggestions found in the "Happiness Project.")

So, in early January, I bought a jar of pumpkin-scented facial cream; it's much like a mask. The whole time it's on my face, I can smell the pumpkin, and it's wonderful. When I wash it off, my face feels as smooth as silk, and my skin is glowing.

That jar - which cost me less about $25 - has enough creamy goo it in to provide for many future treatments and, most importantly, many more moments of pure and simple pleasure.

Surely, the author of "The Happiness Project" would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment