Wednesday, February 17, 2010

One More Deficiency


Time and critical people have taught me that I have a number of deficiencies. It's okay; I've grown accustomed to them.


But, a couple of weeks ago, I discovered I had developed yet another.


It was a Tuesday. I had gone to my doctor's office to have some routine lab work done. I wasn't too concerned; I expected "all things Beverly" to be reported as perfectly normal.


But, this time, I was in for an unpleasant surprise. I found out I was severely deficient in Vitamin D.


At first I was okay with the news, figuring it was no big deal. But, seeing my doctor spin into action the minute she got the test result was a bit alarming.


Immediately, my doctor called in a prescription for me - for 50,000 units of Vitamin D. The doctor's goal - no doubt - was to zap the D levels up to where they ought to be as quickly as possible.


Soon enough, the newly discovered deficiency got my attention too, and I sprang into action as well. I got on the Internet, did the research, found out how this deficiency might have developed and what I needed to do about it. More importantly, I found out what would happen if I didn't correct the problem. Interesting reading to say the least!


My doctor ordered a bone density test. She emphasized how quickly I needed to get this done. That too got my attention. Apparently, low levels of Vitamin D can cause bone loss — osteoporosis!


The good news is my bones are fine. No loss of bone - yet! I got lucky!


And, I'm grateful. So grateful, that I've decided to give nutrition it's due. I will heed the advice of wise counsel. I will take the Vitamin D supplements, the calcium tablets, the one-a-day multivitamins (I've been meaning to take for years).


All that good-for-me stuff swimming around in my bloodstream has come with some side effects — good ones.


I'm sleeping more soundly than ever. I wake up refreshed and ready to go. I have more energy all day long. I'm more cheerful, more patient, happier.


Others hardly recognize me!

No comments:

Post a Comment